As Newshub's Alice Webb-Liddall writes, the story of Grace Millane, a traveler who came to New Zealand on her OE and had her life tragically cut short by an act of violence, has been on the minds of New Zealanders for a week now.
Candlelight vigils have been planned for locations across the country to honour Ms Millane and the other women in New Zealand who have been killed by violence this year.
Ms Millane's body was found on Sunday in the Waitakere ranges after she went missing over a week ago from Auckland central.
A 26-year-old man was charged with her murder, appearing in the Auckland District court on Monday.
New Zealand has the worst rate of family and intimate-partner violence in the world, on average around 13 women die at the hands of violent men here each year, according to Stats NZ.
Ms Millane's family have expressed their gratitude for the outpouring of support by the New Zealand public, but have said they will not attend the vigils.
Here is where you can find them:
- Auckland, Wednesday 12th, 7pm, Federal Street.
- Auckland, Wednesday 12th, 6pm, St Patrick's Cathedral Square
- Auckland, Saturday 15th, 12pm, Auckland City.
- Tauranga, Saturday 15th, 8pm, Mount Main Beach.
- Hamilton, Wednesday 12th, 7pm, Location TBC.
- Nelson, Wednesday 12th, 7pm, 1903 Square.
- Wellington, Wednesday 12th, 5:30pm, Civic Square.
- Christchurch, Wednesday 12th, 7pm, Cathedral Square.
- Queenstown, Tuesday 11th, 7pm, The Bathhouse.
- Dunedin, Wednesday 12th, 7pm, Lower Octagon.