What we know:
- Two deaths have been confirmed - one in Kaikoura and one in Mt Lyford, east of Hanmer Springs.
- A tsunami warning remains in place from the East Cape to Banks Peninsula, including Wellington, and the Chatham Islands. A marine and beach threat is in place for all other New Zealand coastal areas.
- Waves as high as five metres are possible between Marlborough and Banks Peninsula.
- Two people have been injured after the Elm Homestead collapsed in Kaikoura.
- Evacuations from coastal areas are taking place up and down the country.
- All trains in the South Island and all trains on the North Island main trunk line south of Palmerston North are cancelled until further notice.
- All airports are open.
- The severe 7.5 magnitude struck near Hanmer Springs just after midnight.
- Dozens of aftershocks have struck up and down the country, as far north as Pukekohe, south of Auckland.