Six60, Stan Walker, Shapeshifter, Bic Runga and Tiki Taane are among the artists re-recording their hits in Te Reo for a special album.
Waiata / Anthems is being released on September 6 to celebrate Te Wiki o Te Reo Māori 2019.
Other musicians on the album include Drax Project, Kings, Benee, Sons of Zion, Teeks and Tami Neilson.
The album also commemorates 20 years since singer/songwriter Hinewehi Mohi sang the national anthem in Te Reo Māori at a Rugby World Cup quarter final in Twickenham.
At the time, it was a controversial act, and it sparked fiery debate in Aotearoa that eventually led to people all over the country proudly singing the anthem in Te Reo Māori.
Mohi says Waiata / Anthems is something all New Zealanders should celebrate and share.
"These tracks are well known to people, so they can connect the English words they know to the Māori translation and feel like they're accessing Te Reo Māori through something familiar," she says.
"Twenty years on, we're in a much better position because many, many hundreds of people have made a contribution to that shift in people's thinking. Now we have queues of people trying to get into Māori language classes."
The tracklisting of Waiata / Anthems is as follows:
- Hātea Kapa Haka - Aotearoa / God Defend New Zealand
- Six60 - Kia Mau Ki Tō Ūkaipō / Don't Forget Your Roots
- Stan Walker - Tēnā Rā Koe / Thank You
- Benee - Kua Kore He Kupu / Soaked
- Drax Project - I Moeroa / Woke Up Late
- Shapeshifter - Ngā Kano / In Colour
- Kings - Kei Aro Atu Koe / Don't Worry Bout' It
- Tiki Taane - Kei Tōku Ngākau Nei Koe / Always On My Mind
- Sons of Zion - Pōtere Ana / Drift Away
- Bic Runga - Haere Mai Rā / Sway
- TEEKS - E Kore Rawa E Wehe / Never Be Apart
- Tami Neilson - Roimata / Cry Myself To Sleep
SOURCE: Newshub's Daniel Rutledge.