For the seventh time, baker Patrick Lam has been announced as New Zealand's king of pies.
Lam, who owns three bakeries in Tauranga, Bethlehem and Rotorua, won the top award at Bakels NZ Supreme Pie Awards on Tuesday evening with his mince and cheese pie.
Whittled down from 5326 pies entered by 553 bakers, it took nine hours for the judges, including celebrity chef judge Gareth Stewart, to decide the winner.
Bakels NZ managing director Brent Kersel said Lam's mine and cheese pie was the best he has ever tasted.
"The Supreme pie was absolute perfection. The pastry was golden, with perfect lamination, flaky, and a delight to bite into. The filling though surprised us. It was like the cheese had been swirled through the mince and the way it blended in your mouth as a result was exceptional, delicious," Kersel said.
For winning the top award, two golds, and two bronzes, Lam pockets $9500 and the honour of calling himself pie king.
Best New Zealand pies
- Mince & Gravy: Oliver's Bakehouse, Mission Bay, Auckland
- Potato topped: Euro Patisserie, Torbay, Auckland
- Steak & Cheese: Nada Bakery, Tawa, Wellington
- Chicken & Vegetable: Kai Pai Wholesale, Wanaka
- Cafe boutique: Original Foods, Wigram, Christchurch
- Gourmet meat: Orewa Bakery, Orewa
- Truckie & Tradie (Steak & Gravy): Euro Patisserie, Torbay, Auckland
- Bacon & Egg: Goldstar Patrick's Pies, Tauriko, Tauranga
- Mince & Cheese: Goldstar Patrick's Pies, Tauriko, Tauranga
- Gourmet fruit: Ten O'Clock Cookie Bakery Cafe, Masterton
- Vegetarian: Euro Patisserie, Torbay, Auckland
- Commercial wholesale - mince & cheese: Oxford Pies, Pukete, Hamilton
SOURCE: Newshub's Jamie Ensor.