We looooove a quiz and when that quiz is telling you just how intelligent you are (or aren't), we're even keener to take it.
The Cognitive Reflection Test has been hailed as the world’s shortest IQ test as it features just three questions, The Sun reports.
Each one is designed to assess your abilities to identify a simple problem that might actually be harder than it first appears.
Not only do experts claim that getting the right answer is a sign of genius, but also the time frame in which you come up with your solution.
Here's the test:
1. A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
2. If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?
3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size.
If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?
Now the answers:
Now you’ve had a crack at the questions, the chances are you answered 10 cents for question one, 100 minutes for question two and 24 days for question three.
If you did, you're wrong. Here are the correct ones:
1. The ball would actually cost five cents.
If the bat costs $1 more than the bat, you need to think outside the box.
While it might be easy to assume that the ball is 10 cents, that would make the bat $1.10 as it costs $1 MORE than the ball.
In order to keep the total at $1.10, the ball HAS to be five cents — and the bat is worth $1.05.
2. It would take five minutes to make 100 widgets. Five machines can make five widgets in five minutes. This means that one machine will make a widget in five minutes, too.
Therefore, 100 machines all making widgets can make 100 widgets in five minutes.
3. It would take 47 days for the patch to cover half of the lake.
The patch is doubling in size each day it is going forward, so it would halve going backwards.
This means that on day 47, the day before it covered the whole lake, it would be halfway there.
Hands up if you toooooootally got them all right...