Getty Images

'Boy' actor James Rolleston sentenced over car crash

scandal 31/08/2017

Boy star James Rolleston has been sentenced to 200 hours of community service plus one year of supervision and one year of driving disqualification on Thursday after pleading guilty to a dangerous driving charge.

Rolleston - who shot to fame after starring in the movie Boy has also had starring roles in successful films The Dark Horse and The Dead Lands.

Rolleston was charged with dangerous driving after the car he was in smashed into the Otara Bridge near Opotiki in July last year, putting him in Waikato Hospital's Intensive Care Unit for a month. His friend Kaleb Maxwell was also injured in the accident.

A volunteer fireman told Newshub that "half the bridge" ended up in the car, and described the crash site as a "total mess".

Firefighters at the scene had to cut Rolleston from the car, one of whom described the injuries he sustained as "horrendous".

Rolleston was crushed from the waist down and suffered multiple fractures. He also had a traumatic brain injury with two bleeds and a bruise.

His grandmother said exhaustion, as well as speed, were the factors causing the crash.

He released a statement to media earlier this year.

"I have pleaded guilty to the charge I face as a result of the accident, now that the lawyers have checked everything and helped me with the process.

"I have always intended to do this as I admit my actions and I am genuinely regretful that my actions caused the accident. I am especially regretful for the harm caused to my good friend who was in the car with me. I am grateful that we both survived and have the opportunity to make something of the lives we have ahead of us, despite the fact that I have a bit of recovery still ahead. Not everyone is that fortunate. I have learned to appreciate life a lot more and to be grateful for what I have.

"Since the accident, alongside my rehabilitation, I have been working in the community to get youth recognition of the importance of road safety. My hope is that this work, and the coverage of my story, will get other young people to take care on the roads for their own benefit and that of their friends and family. Just cause we are young, we are not indestructible, and in one stupid moment, there can be huge damage. I learned this the hard way but thankfully have a second chance. We all need to recognise this, every time, and for every second we are in a vehicle.

"I am grateful to my family, friends and the wider community for the incredible ongoing support that I have received. A part of me feels that I don't deserve it after letting everyone down by my act of stupidity that night. However, I have learnt and it is that understanding and support that strengthens my resolve to be the best I can be and to lead a positive, safe and responsible example for others in the future. I am grateful just to have the opportunity."

Source: Newshub