Snapchat is officially dead #RIP
Instagram has officially launched selfie filters, meaning Snapchat is officially deaaad.
Instagram Stories have done another copy-cat move, introducing their very own version of "face filters" and we're so ready.
TechCrunch were the first to try the new demo filters, which appear to be "easier to use and don't distort your face as much, but don't track your movements and stay properly positioned on your face as well as Snapchat's."
When asked about their latest copycat feature, Instagram released the below statement:
“There’s a lot of exciting work being done around augmented reality,” an Instagram spokesperson said.
“We’ve heard from our community that they want more creative ways to share everyday moments and engage with friends. With face filters, they have more tools than ever at their fingertips, and all in one place.”
Instagram's new "face filters" will roll out to all users today, along with three other new features including an eraser tool that will let you add and remove drawings that you've added to an image, the ability to rewind videos and lastly the ability to type a hashtag into an Instagram Story.
Just like Snapchat, Instagram are planning to bring, "more face filters to the community on a regular basis."
Here's what will be released in the initial launch:
- Gold Crown – A Caesar-style golden wreath around you head, this filter is subtle and universal enough to be a good introduction to filters.
- Koala – This cute filter adds a Koala nose and ears that raise in surprise when you open your mouth, though it falls short of being as adorable as Snapchat’s iconic puppy filter.
- Nerd Glasses – This one swirls math equations around your head, can appear on two people at once and features glasses that slip down your nose if you tilt forward.
- Bunny – Another attempt at beating Snapchat’s puppy filter, these ears raise in surprise when you open your mouth, and react to gravity by folding over if you learn side to side.
- Butterfly Crown – Instagram’s attempt at Snapchat’s Coachella-favorite flower crown puts a wreathe of butterflies on your head that flitter off as you move.
- Ice Crown – You exhale steam as snowflakes flurry around with this ice crown.
- Peacock – Giant purple feathers in the foreground shield you from view until they’re pulled aside to reveal you, when you lean forward, looking like a 1930s flapper.
- Makeup – Instagram’s final face filter washes a golden hue over you, smoothing your wrinkles so you look more “beautiful.”
WE ARE SO READY FOR THIS.